Most Garmin watches can guide you through the individual workout steps by running pace or heart rate.
This page is for older TCX based watches.
- Forerunner 205, 301, 305, 310XT, 405, 410, 610 & 910XT
- Fēnix 1
More recent FIT capable watches have different (and simpler) instructions
- Forerunner 220, 225, 230, 235, 620, 630, 645, 735XT 920, or 935
- Fēnix 3 or 5
- Quatix 3
- Tactix Bravo
- Vivoactive 3
Setup Garmin Training Center on your computer (needs to be done once)
- Install Garmin Training Center – this CD should have come with your device, or you can download from download.cnet.com
- If you are using Garmin Express to upload new activities from your device to Garmin Connect on the same computer, check the system tray ^
on the bottom right of the screen to see if there is a “gStart” icon (shown as (g)).
- Connect up your device with Training Center running and it should automatically sync
- If you are not making any use of the standard Workouts you may want to select the Workout tab and the delete any workouts you see to declutter
Downloading a workout to watch
- Login to the TrainAsONE dashboard
- Select Send my Next Run > Download as Garmin Workout > TCX, then save the workout-NNN.tcx to your Downloads folder
- Run Training Center and select File > Import to Current User Account > Workouts and select the downloaded workout-NNN.tcx file
- Select Send to device
Selecting the workout on your watch to run
- Press the button on your watch, then for menu
- Select the “Training” option, then “My Workouts”, then until you see the workout name, then to select and run
Downloading on Linux/other
You will need a USB protocol debugger and a working knowledge of the USB protocol.
Your mission, should you decide to accept it: reverse engineer the ANT+ over USB communication between the Garmin Training Center and a Garmin watch to determine how to send a TCX workout file to the watch, and implement a program to reproduce.
Your reward: a place in the pantheon of people who have accomplished a herculean task Just Because It Is There, and the lifelong respect of a select group of running geeks. (Most people at the point elect to purchase a new watch instead).
If you have any questions, hit a snag, or have feedback on these instructions please just drop us an email to [email protected] or ask us a question from the TrainAsONE web app.